Ultra Vulkan Painting

Monday, November 2, 2009

How To: Great Basing made easy (cheaply)


So, while I love the look of solid resin bases, Im not going to pump out 3-4$ a base for my 40+ model Raven Guard, let alone my 100+ model Ork army... (only my sergeants and veterans deserve such treatment)

So, I got my basing down rock solid in my opinion, and people seem to love it. So, as I promised to begin my "how to" tutorials on painting my RG, I will begin with basing. So what products did I use?



I begin with GaleForce Nine basing material. For about $12, youll have enough materials to base 10+ armies... Get the Basing Grit: Fine Grit, Static Grass: Green, and Flock Blend: Dark Conifer. I found these three make a great base and contrast as seen above. Split the materials with your friends, youll have more than you can use with just 1 container of each.




Then apply some good old flavorful Elmers Glue. DO NOT spend $118 on games workshop PV glue or whatever they call it.






I actually apply the glue with an old fine paint brush which I copped the bristles down about 2/3rds.








Stick the model over the basing container, and grab a handful or fine rock base and sprinkle it over the glue. Apply liberally and let dry. Next step is to do the SAME THING, but with the green grass, leaving some rock exposed for layering. Finally, after letting the grass dry down, glob some glue down and apply the dark conifer flocking. This will look like a small patch of weeds or grass that again adds another layer... Give this a try, I think you'll get a lot of complements as I have on how great the bases look (and for about 5 cents each... really).

2 comments:

Anonymous,  November 3, 2009 at 4:05 AM  

Great minds think alike? ;)

http://tahrikmili.blogspot.com/2009/04/simple-basing-tutorial.html

Ultra Vulkan,  November 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM  

Excellent, I actually really like the way yours look. Looks like we have a similar technique, so its gotta work! Your basin actually looks a little more detailed than mine...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Continue to Follow Vulkan Videocast

Check in Regularly for New Content and Frequent Updates!

Search Da Ork Archives

Label

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP