Ultra Vulkan Painting

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Space Wolves = Cry, maybe

After spending a solid two months painting out my Raven Guard army (about 2/3rds done), Im rather upset. My intent was to build a very fast, assault style space marines army. I decided to go with the Raven Guard as I like the background, and thought Shrike was the best HQ choice to build my themed army.

Well, as it turns out, I was dumb for not waiting for the new Space Wolves codex. With there troop choices being cheaper than mine, having counter assault, and bolters with ccw and bolt pistols, im rather upset...

The Blood claws get 4 attacks on the charge with counter assault, and Grey hunters get 3 attacks on the charge or the defense!

Well, maybe im being a little dramatic, and no, im not giving up on my Raven Guard. I do think the space wolves are slightly overpowered, however I dont fully understand that codex.

For Grey Hunters to take a rhino, they need to add an elite character and drop their second special weapon? The Long Fans... how do they work? 1-5 but all have to take a heavy weapon?

Post your comments, and Im looking for any suggestions on how I take down those SW players I cant out assault (with my "assaulty" raven guard)... Im thinking im going to have to bring in a thunder-fire cannon... a viable option?

Im also going to be picking back up my orks after I get through the SMs, and I have a feeling my orks will do just fine against these space wolves.

5 comments:

Big Jim October 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

Hey bud,
Don't overestimate the New Space Wolf codex in the hands of a new Wolf player.

Wolves have and will always be a finesse army.

As to your questions; yes the Grey Hunters lose their 2nd weapon of they want to ride in a Rhino and take a Wolf Guard.

Long Fangs must take a Pack leader W/O a Hvy Wpn and up to five Hvy Wpn toting Fangs. they may split fire as long as the Pack Leader is alive and does not shoot.

My suggestion for dealing with wolves is coordinated assaults. Hit 'em hard and fast with multiple units at once.

Cheers,
Jim

Capitano October 4, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

indeed I would not get my second flamer or melta or heck even plasma for free if I am sitting at 9 men and a Wolf Guard with Power Weapon...but I do get a power weapon flamer and rhino in a 9 man set up for only 185 points...

throw in the Wolf Guard come out to 213 right there...with just a basic power weapon and now I have the 2 power weapons in my squad...

but it is fun to throw on a Wolf Guard Terminator with Cyclone Missiles on the top of my Long Fangs who just hoped out of the Twin-Linked Lascannon Razorback with 2 Heavy Bolters, 1 Missile Launcher, 1 Lascannon more and a Plasma Cannon to boot...and able to pick two targets...throw the Pack Leader in the back so he will always be out of range to shoot and don't worry about him...haha

Blood Claws seem great with the 4 attacks on the charge...but only against horde armies...against other Space Marines...it will be a lot harder to make use of all those attacks...

http://ultratemplar40k.blogspot.com/

DapperDave October 5, 2009 at 3:47 AM  

I don't know where you guys are getting this from, but you don't need to take a wolfguard with grey hunters to give them a rhino. In their entry it lists rhino, drop pod, and razor back as possible dedicated transport options.

Also, remember that the bloodclaws +2 on the charge rule doesn't apply to their counter attack.

captain Khorne,  October 5, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

dude! run your marines as space wolves, its a fair choice as they fit your play style better!

Dverning October 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

@DapperDave: It's an oversight. The previous posters didn't address it in favor on the real issue. You're correct in saying that they can get the Transport no matter the size.

@OP: You don't have to take a Wolf Guard to get the Rhino. The problem is that you can't get a second special weapon on the GHs unless they're 10-man. But the Rhino caps at 10, meaning you have a choice of the second special OR the Wolf Guard.

Also, Thunderfires are always a viable choice. Wolves aren't really a CC army so much as they are a close-range shooty that's also good in assault. Armies that can keep them at bay, limit their ability to close, pick them off one at a time, or overwhelm them in CC are going to do JUST fine against them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Continue to Follow Vulkan Videocast

Check in Regularly for New Content and Frequent Updates!

Search Da Ork Archives

Label

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP